Dec 18, 2009

The Jesus I Never Knew

The Jesus I Never Knew
by Philip Yancey

Yancey calls this a look at "Jesus' life 'from below,' as a spectator, one of the many who followed him around." It gives us fresh eyes.

I notice all the preconceived notions and unwarranted assumptions we have about Jesus--especially now, this Christmas season. Sitting in front of me is a manager, the "little Lord Jesus, no crying he makes." The porcelain figure is more a caricature than reality.

What if we didn't have the benefit of knowing Jesus through history's lens? How would we see him then? Who was the Jesus they knew? Yancey has a knack for entering into those questions without completely deconstructing everything (as some postmodern authors do).

Yancey dives deeply, yet writes lightly. I found myself writing "hmm," "good question," and "interesting perspective" in the margins. Yancey has a rare way of making the profound digestible and understandable.

I would call this a must-read. But (as Yancey would agree) the best way to see the true Jesus is through the Bible--in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Still, this makes a great companion. Well-worth reading.


GRADE:
A- _ _ _ _

Not Yancey's best, but still great.

No comments: