Dec 18, 2009

The Shack

The Shack
by William P. Young

I've heard a wide spectrum of responses to this book-- very positive to very negative. I was curious to read it and see where I would fall. My response is: Very uneasy.

Many have said that The Shack isn't meant to be a theological piece and is simply fiction. I disagree. This book was designed to teach through narrative.

A good majority of the book is dialogue, in which Mack (the main character) is being taught by God embodied in three persons. The conversation is not uninteresting (in fact, it was pretty engaging), but it leaves us with the question:

Is the teaching sound?

There are many themes of the book (too many to mention here). But one that stood out is stated by Papa, the female character representing God the Father (who, as written, reminds me of Corrina, Corrina). She says to Mack: "I'm not asking you to believe anything, but I will tell you that you're going to find this day a lot easier if you simply accept what is, instead of trying to fit it into your preconceived notions"(emphasis added).

The Shack is successful in breaking down our notions of God, but I am uneasy about the new notions it gives us to replace them. While I enjoyed the book literarily, it subtly draws us away from Scripture (or God "in a book", as Young calls it). This sets me on edge.

Frankly, it seems much wiser to know God as he has shown himself through his own Word instead of seeing Him through the imagination of a 21st century author.


GRADE:
_ _ _ D _

Engaging narrative, but questionable theology.

No comments: